Announcement KO4Life Changelog & future plan.

Adi

Nearly two years ago (Feb 2017), I've started this community in hope to allow the Knight Online community (whether its USKO or PSKO) to grow and help each other, unlike what's happening in other KO communities..

Throughout the last year and a half I've got more and more busy with my career in real life (I'm a Chef for those who wonder.. surprise!), and it became nearly impossible to make drastic changes or any changes at all, besides taking a look on what's happening in here through my phone, even while being abroad in business trips but that doesn't always cut it.

At some point, @Gilad was appointed as a global moderator, after showing to everyone in this community, how experienced he is when it comes to the development area and continuously helped other users, even when he wasn't involved in the management of this site.

On January 17th - 2020,(see changelog Jan 2020) I've renewed our hosting (Although the donations throughout the year didn't cut it), in hope to see our community growing even more this year, whether it's in more staff position available or generally more active users, so I hope we'll see growth in here, in terms of the community in general and donations, but only from users who actually appreciate the effort that's being put in this community and not for the "Donor badge" (see changes below btw).

Future plan for 2020-2021

• Creating more helpful features within the site
  • Expanding member base
  • No COVID-19

January 2020

• (12th of Jan) Minor security updates (server-side)
  • (12th of Jan) New community theme, new color scheme.
  • (13th of Jan) Fixed issue with topic prefixes not showing caused by upgrading the community (4.3.x to 4.4.x)
  • (20th of Jan) We're now using a secured connection (https)
  • (21st of Jan) Fixed issue with user "hover" feature caused by moving to https.
  • (21st of Jan) Fixed issue with "code" bbcode (within the post's text editor) caused by moving to https.
  • (22nd of Jan), I've promoted @Gilad to an Administrator position, as he's been helping with other community related subjects in the background as well as doing his duty as a moderator perfectly.
  • (22nd of Jan) In order to receive the "Donor" badge you now have to donate at least 10$, meaning, every user who has lower than 10$ donation is no longer holding the "Donor" badge, however, if the user is donating the extra amount required, he'll receive the badge back (e.g. donated 6$ in the past and now donating another 4$)

February 2020

• (24th of February) Rise Online section is now available.
    • Sub sections were created as well:
      • General Discussion
        • Game Questions & Tips
      • Media
      • Recruitment and In-game requests
  • (24th of February) Fixed an issue with 'Sign in with Google' not working.

March 2020

• (24th of March) Assembly Patches section moved from Guides & Tutorials to Private Server Development.
  • (24th of March) Removed Exclusive Releases & Exclusive Support sections (They never has been to use and confused some users where to post).
  • (24th of March) Removed bunch of irrelevant content that posted by users wanting to view the hidden content.
    • More information regarding these changes can be found HERE
  • (25th of March) Implemented 'table' addition feature through post editor, now you may click the table icon--> Untitled.jpg, set a table and use it as you wish. (You may see an example in @Gilad's post HERE)

May 2020

• (26th of May) Private Server Section changes:
    • Created sections: Server, Combined, Client for Public Releases & Assembly Patches sub-sections (+Utilities under Public Releases)
    • Created prefixes for each section (1298, 1310, any version etc.)

October 2020

• (17th of October) Improved logo visibility on Dark Theme.
  • (30th of October) Bottom logo is now clickable to quickly go to the index page.
  • (30th of October) Senior Member rank added for users with more than 180 posts.
  • (30th of October) Two-Factor authentication - Google Authenticator is now activated and can be enabled in Account Settings -> Account Security.

December 2020

• (19th of December) Fixes for IPS Donation Plugin:
    • Fixed Top Donors Page to use the Rate based on the Currency in the calculation of the Total Amount.
    • Fixed Donations Page to display the right currency used to donate.
    • Fixed User Profile Page to also show the Currency used to donate.
    • Fixed User Profile Page to filter out Anonymous Amount donations from the Total Amount calculation, so that it won't display the real total amount donated in order to respect user's-privacy/decision.

January 2021

• (20th of January) Fixed an issue causing 'ERROR EX01' to users attempting to create post/topics.

May 2021

• Migrated to a new self-hosted server to host the forum
    • This allowed us to fix many errors that were caused due to the hosting provider. Therefore we also canceled our subscription with them, as it brought more trouble than good
  • Upgraded the forum to the latest version, as well as the existing installed plugins

January 2022

• Added new Titan theme KO4Life 2022 - Dark, which will be set as the default theme
    • Members that still prefer the light theme can switch back to KO4Life 2021 - Light theme
  • Converted the Private Server Development section to Questions instead of Discussions as suggest by @Kageyoshi
    • This allows members to up-vote questions or answers
    • Moderators will also be able to select the best answers that will show up in green

December 2022

• Moved Private Server Development section out of Private Server Area to the main page
    • The Private Server Development section has been the most active one in the last couple of years. Therefore and to make it more accessible it was moved to the main page
    • This also allows us to better manage and more easily set global permissions on the entire section separately from the Private Server Area section

April 2023

• Added Server Owner group for as suggested by @Flash. Please DM @Adi or @Gilad if you want to be added there
  • Separated between Development Posts feed to Global Posts in the main page. Private Server Development is our most active section in this forum at the moment, hence the separation. Global Posts is all sections, excluding the Private Server Development section. Server Owners often like to post updates about their servers and this disturbed some of our members that are only interested in the Development Posts
  • Added ability to post gif images directly from the text editor -> image.png
  • On the backend side:
    • Added better integration with AWS to create more regular backups in case of server faults during upgrades, updates, migrations and vice versa. This will allow us to restore easily in such events or to a snapshot from a specific point of time
    • Optimize server performance with regular cron-jobs cleaning up cache and general database performance

This topic is subject to change at anytime due to changes / updates.

Adi.

Edited by Gilad
April 2023 changelog
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Thanks Adi! Really appreciate the kind words. From the beginning I never had in mind becoming part of the moderation team, but with time I felt part of the community wanting to make it better. I grew up playing KnightOnline just when it came out in the US (Ares server) around 2004 till 2007/8. At some point I got really interested in the development part of it, understanding the mechanics of such a complex and huge game. Later on I found different communities which inspired me to learn more when I saw that there are more people out there passionate about making this game better. This is the part where I felt KnightOnline really impact my career decision in life, which was originally studying biology and work in research, but I always grew up around people passionate about computers that at some point brought me to the decision of building a career within this broad field and work as a software engineer.

Later on I felt that my duty is to kind of give back, by hopefully inspiring other people who are interested in learning more about the game mechanics or programming in general. I can say that this is what mainly kept me motivated wanting to make this community better.

I hope that the community will continue growing and more people will be openly willing to contribute back to the effort that has been put in here the last years. If it's by releasing content, donations that will help making this forum better and cover hosting costs, getting more involved in other discussions we have in here and so on.

• Like 4

On 1/22/2020 at 3:10 PM, Adi said:

February

• (24th of February) Rise Online section is now available.
    • Sub sections were created as well:
      • General Discussion
        • Game Questions & Tips
      • Media
      • Recruitment and In-game requests
  • (24th of February) Fixed an issue with 'Sign in with Google' not working.

Today's update.

• Like 2

On 1/22/2020 at 2:10 PM, Adi said:

October

• (17th of October) Improved logo visibility on Dark Theme.
  • (30th of October) Bottom logo is now clickable to quickly go to the index page.
  • (30th of October) Senior Member rank added for users with more than 180 posts.
  • (30th of October) Two-Factor authentication - Google Authenticator is now activated and can be enabled in Account Settings -> Account Security.

Just bumping this in case some of you have missed these small changes from last weekend.

For users that care about their privacy and Account Security, we enabled Google Two-Factor Authentication. You can get this app to your smartphones:

iOS  https://apps.apple.com/us/app/google-authenticator/id388497605
 Android  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.authenticator2

and then simply scan the barcode generated in your KO4Life Account.

• Like 2

December

• (19th of December) Fixes for IPS Donation Plugin:
    • Fixed Top Donors Page to use the Rate based on the Currency in the calculation of the Total Amount.
    • Fixed Donations Page to display the right currency used to donate.
    • Fixed User Profile Page to also show the Currency used to donate.
    • Fixed User Profile Page to filter out Anonymous Amount donations from the Total Amount calculation, so that it won't display the real total amount donated in order to respect user's-privacy/decision.

UPDATE:

Some fixes has been applied to the Donation System.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 2:10 PM, Adi said:

April 2023

• Added Server Owner group for as suggested by @Flash. Please DM @Adi or @Gilad if you want to be added there
  • Separated between Development Posts feed to Global Posts in the main page. Private Server Development is our most active section in this forum at the moment, hence the separation. Global Posts is all sections, excluding the Private Server Development section. Server Owners often like to post updates about their servers and this disturbed some of our members that are only interested in the Development Posts
  • Added ability to post gif images directly from the text editor -> image.png
  • On the backend side:
    • Added better integration with AWS to create more regular backups in case of server faults during upgrades, updates, migrations and vice versa. This will allow us to restore easily in such events or to a snapshot from a specific point of time
    • Optimize server performance with regular cron-jobs cleaning up cache and general database performance

Updated the main post with the relevant changes. Love the gif button, because the internet is boring without them:

Sacha Baron Cohen Thumbs Up GIF by Amazon Prime Video