Notification when main post edited

can_snoxd

I think we need something like notification (to everyone follows or react post) when main post edited/updated , it happens me a few time. i didnt notice thing as easly seeable on main post.

Not email kind , more like notification bell or ping type

Edited by can_snoxd

On 5/24/2020 at 7:41 PM, can_snoxd said:

I think we need something like notification (to everyone follows or react post) when main post edited/updated , it happens me a few time. i didnt notice thing as easly seeable on main post.

Not email kind , more like notification bell or ping type

I think I understand what you mean, and correct me if I'm wrong please.

Basically, you want that if you create a topic right now (hence, you're OP - the original poster of that topic), every time you change anything within the first post, all the users whom follow that topic will be notified?

If that's the case: Technically, it's possible but theortically, wouldn't it cause too much spam within user's notification box? because if that's what you're referring to, even if you'd edit a typo it would notify users right?

What I personally do in such cases is post a new post within my topic saying I've updated the main post, which notifies the users who follow the topic that there's a new comment in that topic.

Unless of course, you're referring to something else entirely then I must've misunderstood you.

7 hours ago, can_snoxd said:

Yes i mean that , i think to avoid spam could be add somekinda cooldown like 1 day per alert

The cool-down sounds like a great idea, otherwise it would indeed get too spammy.

In general when making a change to the main post (that is important for the users to know), commenting on the same post (i.e UPDATE: text..) usually suffice. I personally do it every time, i.e when I dump a new version for a tool or if I modify an ASM patch. That being said, think of a situation where we add something like this, you'll get 2x emails, because:

1. The main post has been modified.
  2. The OP commented on the same topic that the topic has been updated.

Sure, you can say we can add a cool-down for this as well, but this could potentially open doors for mistakes and maybe miss some emails. I'm not sure if there is a plugin to this, unless we implement something like this (Pseudocode):

if User enabled 'Extra Follower'
  if OP edited 'Main Topic' AND last email sent less than TIME
    send email
  else-if any new comments AND last email sent less than TIME
    send email
  end-if
end-if

to prevent from getting 2x emails, or for the sake of simplicity we can just say; it's your decision to be an extra follower and you'll get 2x emails for that.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1