Hand Carved Real-life Elixir Staff [ 130cm long ]

Mauja

This was uploaded to my blog page 2 years ago. It all started as a bet whether I can do it or not while we are chatting with friends. I wanted to start with relatively hard and challenging item so I chose Elixir staff. Allthough knight online item designs are not match with current design qualities, I really like some of the designs in the game very much. Raptor and Elixir Staff by far is my favorites. In the armors Arch Tuarek armors are the best. I remember zooming on players who are wearing full plate armors in the old times. Even full plate was impressive back then.  Mage with an elixir staff on his hand surely look impressive. 

I started building a template for the design. I use the concept art of elixir staff for the template and adjust it accordingly.  Elixir staff has different thickness along its lenght. And I have no access to wood thicker then 18mm. I went to bauhause and buy 10 piece of 140x80 pine boards. Printed out the template on a4 papers and attach them together.  I use 6 layers of wood on top 4 layers in the middle and 2 layers for the handle part. 

template

The trickiest part is the horns sticking out in front of the staff. I also use 3D model of the elixir from the game for a reference which helped a little bit. The model is really low quality and does not give away alot of details. But working with concept art and 3D model at the same time along with my creative decisions I manage to plan how I need to approach making the staff. Since I dont have a wood working shop, I do all these thing in my house. This build took 12 days to complate. 

a1

You can see the template on the left cut from paper. As I mentioned the hors are a little bit problem at the beginning, I left them out as I cut the main body of the staff and begin to roughly shaping the handle part by hand. I dont recommend you doing such work in your home. sawdust... sawdust is everywhere... took me weeks to clean the house out of saw dust. 

a2
I decided to make the horns seperate and attach them to the main body with wooden dowels and lots of wood glue. This works out just fine and its really strong. The top part needed a little bit more thickness so I added more wood to the top part and contuniue carving the general shape by hand. Scissors is put there for scale. 

a3
Smaller horns are a bit hard to attach since they have to be angled and I have only hand tools. Cutting the wood with handsaw to match the body was hard but I use two wooden dowels. To fill the openings between pieces I mixed glue and sawdust together and aplly to the areas where I need to fill the gaps.  In this step I use dremel to carve the details. 

a4
The skull is scanned from real animal skull and 3D printed with PLA filament in Ultimaker 2 printer. Claws are my own addition to the staff , they are velociraptor claws also 3D Printed. I applied wood filler to the 3D print's surface to give it a bone look. Attached them to the staff using leather strips. This staf ment to look old and used.

This is the final result of the elixir staff.  the flame effect ovbiously is added later. If I remember correctly the place I took this photo is Camlica/Istanbul. I was stopped by the police to investigate what I am carrying, they didnt understand what it was and checked my ID and criminal record before they letting me go. I told them its an art piece ^^ 

elixir.png

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Gilad said:

Wow! Impressive stuff! You got some serious talent there. You should do a video time elapsed of the progress, people would love it, not just KO players.

Thank you @Gilad glad you like it.  Maybe in the future, i'll set up a camera while working on this kind of project ^^ This elixir staff already done. 

• Like 1

Wow this is some impressive work right there..

First time to see something like this, remember seeing a Chitin Shield but it seemed like it was made of some cheap material, not even wood.