Digitally Sculpted and 3D Printed Stone Golem

Mauja

Recently I am learning how to sculpt in ZBrush. I am experienced in 3d modelling due to working as a product designer over the years. But my main area always was to rigid modelling. After corona virus happened , like most of you, I have more free time. Me and couple of friends got into dungeons & dragons. We play at evenings on discord. I have a 3D printer in my home and printed couple of miniature for dungeons and dragons game. Then I think to myself, what if I 3d model one of the knight online monster and 3D print it. I chose the golem because golems are cool. 

The original 3D mesh of Stone golem is not detailed enough to have it 3D printed. It looks like origami and extremely low poly. But its a good way to start the model. The base model gave me sound structure to work on. I spend couple of hours on this stone golem in zbrush.  

Instagram : cba_studio ( Color Blind Artist )
To see my other Knight Online Creations please visit and follow me on instagram.

Progress: 

You can see the original 3D Model of stone golem on the left. its low poly and lack of detail. This is not ideal for 3D printing we need every little detail possible. Here you can see I worked on the upper part of the golem. The poly count is significantly higher.  

vxc.png

Finished 3D model 

Here you can see the finished 3D sculpture of Stone golem. Took me couple hours of work in 2 days.  I could have done better job for the arms but I am pretty happy with how this turn out. 

yt4.png

talos

• Like 2
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, Adi said:

Clearly, if you add a bit more elements to that just like you did with the Deruvish, this would turn out to look a lot better than the original Stone Golem lol

Well done :)

I was thinking adding branches and twigs, like and ivy climbing up between the individual rocks. But due to covid-19 situation, I am unable to go outside and collect real plant roots for this. Maybe after all this over, i'll go back to this design and add some base with rock and sand as well as other earthy elements on it. Right now I am limited with materials i can find in my house. 

This is a good example of what can be done as a miniature base - allthough my golem is sort of "bigature" - once the required materials are collected.  The main difference is my miniatures are 3D printed with FDM printer, because of this surface quality is not perfect for painting. In this example the model is Injection Mold thus has a perfectly smooth surface. He uses Cork as a rock element and artificial plant and real life roots for wood. 

Below design belongs to Emil Nyströn.

Painted Miniatures — AGE OF SQUIDMAR

UPDATE: 

Not as quality as the above example and not as colorful. Because of I am a color blind person, I have hard time painting stuff. So my paintings end up alot more pale. I manage to make something out of items that I have. @Adi hope this satisfy your request of "adding elements" :)

golem2

Edited by Mauja
  • Like 1