Approved Banner advertising

United

Are you planning to add banner spots for companies/games/sellers to advertise their product or service?
Like the rest of professional community forums does.. Seems like only Knight Online english community scene is still in the past regarding this matter ^^

Regards.

Well, if you're referring to Google ads then not an option as long as we have a donation feature.

if you're referring to ads as in allowing visitors here to rent an advertising banner then that might be an option but I don't see a reason to rush with it unless the community believe it's a good idea, I have no intention to make this community a money-making machine, as long as we can keep this up from donations it's alright by me.

Making a few more bucks for future events? also fine by me but I think we'll need more thoughts on this, so if anyone is interested in sharing his opinion, go ahead.

Not the google ads definetly.

Every forum has advertising banners available, you should minimize the amount of ad banners though, for example maximum of 2 a the top of the site. Perhaps there are some other places that can offer advertisements. 

However with the money that forum would earn through this advertisement, it can be used for:

Special giveaways! The special giveaways contains a 'hook' form in which member has to fill all information's including e-mail. The 'hook' form can than be advertised all around the KO Scene.. Afterwards, you just use the e-mail base to send e-mails for the ko4life forum.

But seriously, add the 1 or 2 banner advertising please, it's fun :)

I'm not a big fan of the idea but putting a small, relatively non-intrusive, Ad box below the panel where the donate button is would be Ok with me. Although one could argue that if we're going to be running Ads we shouldn't keep the donate button. So unless smaller non-intrusive Ads are enough to cover the cost of running the forum I'd say it probably isn't worth it.

EDIT: I guess maybe one of the slides at the top could be made into a banner linking to the server post. That wouldn't be too bad either imo.

Edited by BitShift

If someone donates, you offer him a Team Speak server. So i was thinking, that a banner could be a gift for a donation as well.

• Only 1 spot for banner!
  • User that donates the most is able to use the banner, for no longer than 30 days.
  • If someone donate more than the previous bidder he gets the banner, and the first bidder lose the banner, because it was a DONATION.
  • If nobody makes a bigger donation, the banner is removed in 30 days.
  1. This way, you don't sell banners, but makes it a nice donation game. And since we all likes games, we can have some fun :)
  2. Granted monthly donations
  3. More visitors to the site.

Can this hurt the site, or can it just improve it?

My suggestion for the spot is like this.

wu5gme.png

Well making it a bidding war doesn't really make sense to me. Then only the server with the most money to spend gets to promote. I would personally like to see smaller servers get more attention too. Honestly if we could have a staff member (or a respected community member) reach out to server admins and write up a review, with recommended servers getting the banner slot, that would be ideal. Although, I'm not sure we would get enough new server admins to warrant that. It seems like the same people open/close open/close servers a lot.

I mean I hear you @Andrej but personally I'm so sick of money running shit like this, we don't need that imo.

On 2017-06-21 at 4:35 AM, Andrej said:

If someone donates, you offer him a Team Speak server. So i was thinking, that a banner could be a gift for a donation as well.

• Only 1 spot for banner!
  • User that donates the most is able to use the banner, for no longer than 30 days.
  • If someone donate more than the previous bidder he gets the banner, and the first bidder lose the banner, because it was a DONATION.
  • If nobody makes a bigger donation, the banner is removed in 30 days.
  1. This way, you don't sell banners, but makes it a nice donation game. And since we all likes games, we can have some fun :)
  2. Granted monthly donations
  3. More visitors to the site.

Can this hurt the site, or can it just improve it?

In practice, this might be a pain in the ass for you guys. Some people might not understand what they are "paying/donating" for... In the end if you want that banner slot you're not actually donating, you (Ko4life.net) just choose to call it donating (with crappy conditions for the banner "purchaser"). Potentially it might generate more money, but that wasn't the purpose. So just sell cheap banner slots instead.

Edited by HenkaN

Bidding for a banner seems a bit odd and feels wrong in my opinion, renting banners sounds a lot more logical but then again, unsure if that's what we're looking for?

Wouldn't it make our community a bit money-hungry? 

Which leads me to talk about the future events we thought about, as I already mentioned, we're planning to hold event(s), contest(s) and possibly raffles as well here and there but after discussing it with the rest of the staff we believe it might be a good idea to wait for the right moment (hint: USKO/STKO 'events') and not as soon as we can afford it.

Therefore, if someone would actually pay for such a rented banner I think you should all know that there won't be any sort of event until the time is right and that is why I believe this might make us look a bit hungry for money and that's not the point here, as I already said in my previous post, as far as the community remains up just by casual donations I'm fine with it.

Besides, what would be an appropriate price for a weekly/monthly banner in your opinions?

In my opinion, the price of the banner should be determined of it's position, quantity of banners and how many people are visiting the site.
If there is only 1 banner allowed, the price can be at a higher point. The more banner there is, the cheaper price.

Price should be highered once the forum has more visitors.

At the moment, 35-60 USD for monthly banner, and 20-40 USD if there are 2 banners.

Nobody can really pay 100.00USD at the moment for the banner, but if the community grows up, i'll be the first one paying that amount.

If we decide to have a banner (I think one in the middle like in @Andrej's pic would be fine) I'd say keep it cheap enough so that someone new to the server scene (god have mercy on their soul..) would be able to purchase it. Like 20-40 seems alright but I don't think I'd like two banners, just one. And I think we should make people aware that we reserve the right to take their banner down if we receive complaints from players. I'm not sure about how long banners should be up though (since I'd imagine people would want to sync it with the release of their server and if two people are releasing around the same time then what?).

I would really like to thank @HenkaN for weighing in, maybe some other community members could help weigh in on this please?

• Like 1

I think a weekly banner can be enough, question is how do we decide who's getting it in case two or more servers are willing to pay for it in a specific week? 

I don't think that whoever is paying more should be the one that gets it, then, as mentioned earlier, big and well known servers will keep this banner for them forever and new / unknown servers won't be able to afford it in most cases.

Also, as @BitShift stated, we will have to reserve the right to take down a banner in case the server's staff are/were involved in something fishy.

Complaints don't necessarily always represent that a specific banner is problematic, as long as nothing wrong was done by the server's staff / whoever rented the banner I  personally think it's alright, I guess we'll have to go through terms and conditions for such banners to prevent misunderstandings.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Seen this subject being discussed in a different topic but I thought it might be best to stay on topic and not continue going off-topic in there so I'm sharing my opinion here,

I think having banners might benefit this community in the long term, some people would to keep it clean (myself included) but if the banner isn't too big and not some sort of annoying pop-up I guess we can all live in peace with it?

Worst case scenario, in case there are many complaints about it, once the period of whoever rented that banner ends, don't put it for sale again/don't renew it.

In case it's okay by the rest of the community (I personally wouldn't mind as long as it's proven to not be an annoying ad) and ko4life.net becomes more popular, prices can go even higher and contribute even further to the evolvement of this community.

• Adi unlocked this topic